Children's Liturgy of the Word is a time for prayer and reflection of God's Word presented with child-friendly language and rituals. All children can attend this Children's Liturgy of the Word at the 10:30amweekly Sunday Mass, from September through May. After the opening prayer, children are invited to hear the First Reading and the Gospel in simple, relatable language. Readings are accompanied by singing, interactive dialogue, and other activities. Children return before the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
When is it offered? During the 10:30am Masses n Sundays during the year.
Who may participate? There are no age restrictions, but the child should be mature enough to be away from the parent and to participate in responses.
How does it work? Children are dismissed from Mass before the First Reading. They rejoin their families for the Liturgy of the Eucharist
Can I volunteer? Adult Leaders are always welcome. Older children are welcome to serve as Leader Assistants. For more volunteer information contact the parish office at 217-483-3772.
Here is a brief description of volunteer leader/assistant responsibilities:
Before your scheduled Mass
- Read through Share the Word booklet in the Sacristy.
- Prepare your presentation (based on Gospel reading).
At the start of the Mass
- You join the Entrance Precession, walking to the altar after the reader.
- After priest finishes the opening prayer, walk to front of the altar.
- Priest announces Children’s Liturgy. Walk to back of church.
- Children will proceed to the Day Chapel.